Thursday, January 17, 2008

Blog#2 for S554

I had a small moment of introspection this evening in class. It came to me as we were defining ourselves into the technologically Brave or Timorous categories. I don't consider myself confident at all when it comes to new and strange situations and when it comes down to it, exposure to new technology is an new and strange situation. I feel anxious and I'm afraid I'll miss some important piece of information and then I'll have to ask a stupid question. I know, I know, "No such thing as a stupid question." Try being the only one in the room that glossed over some key element. I feel a mild panic rising when everyone else seems to know what's going on. At that point I can pretend that I'm in the know, but I'm just cheating myself.

This reminds me of when I went to the mother-ship in Seattle. The Seattle Public Library (splorg!) has got to be the most imposing piece of glass I've ever seen. Just finding the public computer area gave me hives, forget about trying to figure out what was the protocol for out-of-towners. It was only after I'd returned for another daily session that I was informed that outsiders got one half hour of sweet lady Internet before they were cut off forever, cast out to the streets to fend for themselves in distant, over priced "Internet Cafés" that were dirty and anxiety inducing in their own over-caffeinated way. Had I known, I wouldn't have squandered those precious minutes sending off Emails to friends and relatives back home. I'd have been filling out the online complaint form. I felt dumb when the man told me to go away, I felt like I'd done something wrong.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah, but what a splurge to jot off emails from splorg!

Itinerant Teacher said...

The half hour of computer time for life sounds a bit harsh. I think I would have been surprised also.

Melissa said...

The building is very impressive and imposing. Did you notice the rules of conduct that covered the wall opposite the elevators (on almost every floor)?

Mary Alice Ball said...

I phrase it as technologically brace and timid because I, too, know what it is like to feel the panic rising when I think everyone else is getting the new techno whatever and I have been left behind. I think it is only in the company of like adventurers that we can feel calm, secure in the knowledge that at as a group we can muddle through.